Written by Nazaruk Maryana
Velke Losiny Chateau is one of the most important Renaissance monuments in the North Moravian region. This chateau was built by an important Moravian family of lords from the town of Zerotin. It survived the Thirty Years’ War, and the interiors, decorated with an exceptional collection of tapestries and leather wallpaper, have been preserved. It also contains the oldest two-seater stretcher in the world and a beautiful castle library. As the chateau has not been lighted to this day, popular evening tours with a flashlight take place here in the summer. A walk through the castle park is also very pleasant.
Velke Losiny chateau is connected with the so-called witch trials, which took place here in the years 1678–1692. In 1802, the original owners of this chateau, which were lords from Zerotin, incurred big financial problems. So Ludvik Antonin from Zerotin had to sell the chateau to the Liechtensteins. The first owner of Velke Losiny Chateau was Charles III Boromej. He made several changes in the chateau garden. In the beginning, it was a French style garden. But he turned it into an English garden. He also modified the interior of the chateau. For example, he modified the side wing, which is now called the Empire. The original furniture has been preserved here, including wall paneling and paintings. The second Liechtenstein in Velke Losiny Chateau was Charles’ son, Rudolf Evzen. They also called him “a Beautiful Prince.” At the end of the 19th century, he opened part of the high chateau to the first visitors.
After Rudolf, Alois Gonzag took over the chateau. Thanks to him, the castle entered a new era of the modern world. He installed electricity, a water supply system, and even a fire water supply system. The newly established chateau kitchen, which has been preserved in its original form to this day, has also become well-known. In 1945, Alois Gonzag was deprived of all property, so he had to leave the chateau with his family. Since then, the chateau is the property of the state. In 1995, the chateau was declared a national cultural monument. There were many fairy tales and films set at the chateau. For example, Kladivo na carodejnice (Witches’ Hammer, 1969), Putovani J. A. Komenskeho (The Wanderings of Jan Amos, 1982), Bathory (2007), Jan Hus – cesta bez navratu (2015), and more. The chateau can also be booked as a wedding venue.