Little Castle in Kutna Hora
Written by admin
The Little Castle, now housing the Silver Museum, is located in the center of Kutna Hora and dates back to 1312 or earlier. It had been a stone fortified castle palace before it was reconstructed into a family residence at the end of the 15thcentury. At that time, under the ownership of entrepreneur Jan Smisek, it was one of the earliest examples of the Renaissance in Bohemia. The extravagant building was decorated in Jagiellonian Gothic style with large halls, a three-floor tower, high gables and chapels completed with mining motifs and painted ceilings. Then the owners of the Little Castle changed many times, and during the late 17th and 18th century the place was used as a Jesuit seminary and school. Hradek (Little Castle) underwent Gothic renovations in the 1950s and 1990s. It is usually in the shadow of the Ossuary located in the St. Barbara’s Church, Kutna Hora.