Strakonice Castle was built in the 13th century as residency of Bavor of Strakonice kin. They gave a part of the castle to the Hospitallers of St. John of Jerusalem in the middle of the 13th century. Strakonice became a seat of priors of the Hospitallers and since 1402 all the castle and all the region were their property. They owned it till the 20th century. Nowadays there is a museum in the castle.