Written by Dominika Filipova
Januv Castle also called Janohrad is artificially created castle ruins from the beginning of the 19th century. It is a part of the Lednice-Valtice area, which was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1996. The entire Lednice-Valtice area is located in the South Moravian region. It is located on the left bank of the river Dyje.
Januv Castle is a pseudo-gothic imitation of a castle ruin. It was built in 1801-1808. It is named after Prince John Adam I. Of Liechtenstein – the first owner of the Lednice estate. The architect of the castle was J.L. Hardmuth, who also invented the pencil. The castle was built near the hunting ground and was used as a hunting lodge and accommodation for the gamekeeper. Rich feasts were here after the hunt. There was space for horse stables, preparation of food from caught animals, and for the entertainment of the manor.
Architect Hardmuth originally designed the castle more generously, but at the request of the Prince, the project was reduced. Despite this, it is a unique building in the Czech Republic. It consists of four corner towers – each has a different floor plan. The architect wanted the imitation of the castle ruins to be as truthful as possible, so he paid attention to every single detail. For example: he made three spiral clockwise staircases as was usual in the old castles. The building surrounds a square courtyard. Three sides are formed by a stone wall. The fourth side is made up of a chateau building where is The Main Knight’s hall in which took place hunting festivities and feasts. This Knight’s hall was only for man. Women used two representation lounges which were in towers. The whole interior is decorated with neo-Gothic paintings. The neo-Gothic painting was made by Michael Rober.
Before the end of the Second World War, the castle burned down. The renovation was from 1957-1964. Nowadays this castle is open to the public. You can visit The Main Knight’s hall, women’s lounges, and hunting and ornithological expositions in the interior of the castle. Next to the building grow several old oak trees. The biggest one is about 300 years old, 22 meters high and its trunk measures 710 centimeters. In the summer season, romantic cruises on the river Dyje take place here from castle park in Lednice to Januv Castle.
For more information about South Moravian Legion, from which this castle comes, click here and here.