Glass Museum in Kamenicky Senov
The original town Glass Museum was established in 1923. Its activity first consisted of organizing exhibitions at the local glassmaking school. In 1949, the National Museum in Prague gave its consent to the establishment of a professional glass museum. In 1966 it was assigned as a branch to the Museum of Glass and Jewelery in Jablonec nad Nisou. It was separated from this museum in 1991 and the town of Kamenicky Senov became its founder again.
The collections have been located in the beautifully reconstructed Classicist building No. 69 since 1968. Today, the listed building has always been associated with the glass trade and glass refining in its history. Extensive collections document and demonstrate the glass art and craft of the past and present. In addition to the Museum of Applied Arts in Prague, the set of engraved glass from this collection is considered to be the highest quality in the territory.
The museum’s permanent exhibition on the topic, “Where do we come from? Who are we? Where are we going?” includes the development of engraved and cut glass from the 17th century to the present. Colored and clear glass, double-walled, laminated, glazed glass, and others are exhibited.
Part of the exhibition is dedicated to the past and present of the Kamenicko-senov Glass School and to the author’s works made by participants in the International Symposium of Engraved Glass, held here since 1996. It also includes a collection of historic crystal pendant chandeliers and laminated lamps, whose tradition of production in this area dates back to 1724.
Extraordinary exhibits include a glass chair made by the Elias Palme company in the last decade of the 19th century for Maharaja’s Palace in Hyderabad, India. The chair was exhibited at the Glass of the Maharajas exhibition at the Corning Museum of Glass in New York in 2006.