Frantiskovy Lazne Museum

Category: Museum

Frantiskovy Lazne Museum

Frantiskovy Lazne Museum has its origins in 1912, when the first items for the future museum began to be collected among the inhabitants through a collection.

HISTORY

After the end of the First World War, the museum was led by the important regional researcher Alois John, who turned the collected objects into a real museum exhibition. However, it did not survive World War II, during which the museum actually disappeared and most of its collections were lost. The collection activity was resumed only in 1957 and the exhibition was newly opened four years later. In October 2008, the museum moved to the former “Fire House” in Dlouhá Street near Swan Lake.

EXHIBITION

The current museums exhibition documents the history of the spa town from the time of the discovery of František’s spring until the 20th century. Explained are local architecture and the development of balneological methods. Among many others, visitors can see historical views of the spa, a wooden ledge of Frantisek’s spring from the mid-18th century or the original statue.

With the challenge of June 20, 1913, the then mayor Eugen Loimann made these efforts a matter for the town of Frantiskovy Lazne, while the museum and the town library were reserved as the first modest spaces in the house “Aeskulap” in Karlova street.

Nowaday the Frantiskovy Lazne Museum organizes lectures of various topics, especially in the field of history or zoology. Among other things, the museum hotst exhibitions of famous painters and artists. During the summer it is possible to visit the summer cinema, which is located in the museum’s garden. Every year may the visitors participate on the ,,museum night” which is sponsored by the Association of Museums and Galleries of the Czech Republic.

For more information about the Karlovy Vary Region, from which this museum comes, click here and here.

© 2003–2021 by CATV USA. All rights reserved. No part of this text may be reproduced or transmitted. Without written permission of CATV USA.