Znojmo – The Temple of St. Nicholaus
The Temple was built back in approx. 1100 and it is consecrated to St. Nicholas, the saint patron of merchants. In 1190 the newly founded Louka Abbey just below Znojmo was given this church by Conrad II, Duke of Bohemia. In the 13th century it belonged to the City of Znojmo. Following the Great Fire of Znojmo in 1335 a completely new church was built, which is the present Gothic church. It was rebuilt several times during the 15th century. In December 1437 corps of the Holy Roman Emperor Sigismund was publicly displayed inside the church. In the Baroque era the parts of the church were modified. The present church tower was built in the mid-19th century, quite unusually behind the chapel. The original Gothic church tower, which stood at the south front, was dilapidated at that time and was demolished.