Written by John Doe
Valtice Chateau, part of the Lednice-Valtice Complex is called the capital city of wine – sample the local wines in the cellars of this opulent chateau!
The jewel in the crown of Valtice is its massive Baroque chateau, the former residence of the Lichtenstein family. Situated in the center of a tradition wine region, the chateau was built in stages by thirteen princes and in the 18th century the residence, with its furnishings, collections and rich inventory competed with Imperial court in Vienna itself.
The vast cour d’honneur, chateau interiors and extensive cellars, home to the Wine Salon of the Czech Republic, home to a permanent tasting exhibition of the best wines of Bohemia and Moravia, are all worth a look. Visitors might also enjoy a walk through the vast chateau grounds, containing reconstructed Baroque theater, wine cellars dating back centuries and a herb garden.
The first known written mention of Valtice (when written as Veldesperch) comes from January 10, 1193. Emperor Henry VI. when their exchange between the Bishop of Passau Wolfger and the new acquirer, Wichard of Seefeld, was confirmed by a document in Regensburg, Bavaria. Even before this date, there was a fortified building in Valtice, probably with clay and wooden ramparts and possibly a brick residential core.
The new owners, Valtice Seefeld, belonged to the leading ministers of the Austrian dukes and inherited the office of chief captains (in historical sources, the office is named maior dapifer or truksas). Wichard’s son Kadold will probably rebuild the Valtice castle into late Romanesque forms, probably right now he equipped it with a polygonal tower and also made the castle a place of knightly tournaments and games.We also judge from the testimony of the famous minnesänger Ulrich von Liechtenstein, who mentions in detail the Valtice knightly battle in the first soil of the thirteenth century in his compositions. The last of the male descendants of the Seefeld family was Albero of Feldsberg, a companion of Přemysl Otakar II. Before Alber’s death, a Minorite monastery was founded in front of the southwest gate of the city, destroyed during the Hussite wars.
The buildings were later restored by the Franciscans on the initiative of Jan Kapistran, but were again severely damaged by the Turks in 1529. During the growing Reformation, the monastery was abandoned and gradually dismantled. The Convent of the Merciful Brothers played an important role in the following period.