The Lednice-Valtice Area is a 69930 ac landscape area in the Břeclav district at the border with Austria. Since December 1996 it has been included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. It is considered to be the largest compiled landscape in Europe and perhaps even in the world.
Lednice Chateau is located in Lednice village on the right bank of Dyje, about 7 miles east of Mikulov.
The chateau with a large garden is among the most beautiful complexes in the Czech Republic. The Lednice dominion was acquired in 1249 by the Liechtenstein family and they were almost 700 years old. Today’s appearance was gained by the chateau during the extensive reconstruction of the mid-19th century in a style that mimics English Tudor Gothic. There was a reconstruction of the original Renaissance chateau from the 16th century, around which there was already a large garden. The chateau was remarkable in the late 17th century, when the Baroque style was modified according to the plans of the Italian architect Domenico Martinelli and Jan Bernard Fischer of Erlach. The chateau building is very richly neo-gothic decorated.
Valtice Chateau is a Baroque chateau located in the Moravian town of Valtice in the Břeclav district of the Czech Republic. Since 1995 it has been preserved as a national cultural monument of the Czech Republic and in 1996 it was registered in the Lednice-Valtice area on the UNESCO World Heritage List. For centuries until 1945 he was the princely seat of the Liechtenstein family. It is owned by the state (administrated by the National Monument Institute) and is accessible to the public. The originally Gothic castle from the 13th century was rebuilt into a Renaissance and later Baroque chateau. To its present form it was rebuilt in the years 1643-1730 according to the projects of the Italian builder Domenika Martinelli and Johann Bernhard Fischer of Erlach. The chateau consists of a three-storey four-winged building with a stables, a riding hall, a gallery, a Rococo theater and a carriage house.
For more information about the South Moravian Region where this place is located click here.